Re: dc2ace70f1b: Syntax with MIGRATE keyword

Hi, Aleksey!

On Sep 01, Aleksey Midenkov wrote:

> > > I think that helps to make syntax more natural if we do MIGRATE
> > > PARTITION in both directions.
> > > If it is written MIGRATE OUT or MIGRATE IN that is easier to
> > > understand what's going on. FROM/TO in the end is not helping much
> > > because it is harder to notice. Partition specification presence or
> > > absence: not so explicit to understand quickly.
> >
> > It incorrect English. And it's a noise word that adds no value and
> > doesn't make anything easier to understand.
> >
> >   MIGRATE PARTITION x TO TABLE y
> >
> > is correct and unambigous although not a very traditional use of the
> > word "migrate". MIGRATE OUT PARTITION x TO TABLE y is just wrong.
>
> If there is "move in" and "move out", "migrate in" and "migrate out"
> cannot be wrong. Look for examples for "migrate out to" and "migrate
> in from".

Move would be a correct word here, as migrate is normally an
intransitive word. Anyway, "out" is used similarly for them, it'd be

   MIGRATE PARTITION x OUT TO TABLE y

is that what you want? This looks kind of redundant, but I cannot say it
is wrong. But MIGRATE OUT PARTITION x TO TABLE y - this is clearly
broken.

VP of MariaDB Server Engineering
and security@xxxxxxxxxxx