Re: 93493a0e9b5: MDEV-24176 Server crashes after insert in the table with virtual column generated using date_format() and if()

Hi, Aleksey!

Could you please explain in the commit comment what the bug was and what
you are fixing?

I wasn't able to understad that, so I had to debug those crashes myself.

So, the reason is, objects allocated in the wrong arena, right?
And it was done inconsistently, on different code paths the "re-fix"
context was different.

I agree that encapsulating all the context in one Vcol_expr_context is a
good idea, it'll allow to have the same, correct, context everywhere.

But always using expr_arena doesn't necessarily seem to be a correct
choice. E.g. Arg_comparator creates Item_cache_temporal on every
fix_field. If vcol expr is re-fixed all the time, expr_arena will grow
continuously. Same for charset conversion, CASE, IN, etc. I suspect that
if the vcol expr is always re-fixed, it has to use stmt arena.

Why do you re-fix fields? I can hardly imagine that an Item_field can
find itself in a different table. And if it's always in the same table,
why to force it to find this table over and over?

We've already discussed VCOL_TABLE_ALIAS, no need to go there again.

VP of MariaDB Server Engineering
and security@xxxxxxxxxxx

Follow ups