Re: Google Summer of Code 2022

Hi Sergey!

I'm happy to see that you have experience in MariaDB code base already. The
MDEV-18827 is definitely up for grabs for GSoC 2022. The project is mostly
a part-time project (requiring a commitment of around 175 hours), however
depending on your availability we can increase the scope of the project and
bump it up to a full time project.

My suggestion for this task is to start looking at code parsing FRM files.
Search for the function TABLE_SHARE::init_from_binary_frm_image to get an
idea how an .frm is structured.

After that, think how you would like to implement the feature described in
MDEV-18827. Feel free to submit a draft proposal and we can iterate on it.
Not 100% sure how the GSoC interface works this year, but last time you
were able to share with potential mentors a Google Doc with the possibility
to comment.

Have a look at the proposal guidelines
https://mariadb.org/gsoc2022-instructions/ and start writing it. When the
program application opens you can submit it (4th of April).

In the meantime, feel free to ask any questions you might have here. I
encourage you to keep all discussions on the mailing list as much as
possible so others can chime in.

Vicențiu