Re: ed477a6d30c: MDEV-29056 Replica thread reports error on ALTER ONLINE after LOCK WRITE

Hi, Nikita,

No, in this case (and commonly for collateral changes) I'd rather prefer
to refine the original (878a92e) commit to not cause the MDEV-29056 in
the first place.

Ignoring LOCK= clause is logically correct and that's what the old code
was doing anyway. But perhaps ALTER TABLE still needs to check that
ALGORITHM= and LOCK= clauses are compatible?

On Aug 27, Nikita Malyavin wrote:
> revision-id: ed477a6d30c (mariadb-10.6.1-521-ged477a6d30c)
> parent(s): 56206e60315
> author: Nikita Malyavin
> committer: Nikita Malyavin
> timestamp: 2022-07-26 00:41:00 +0300
> message:
>
> MDEV-29056 Replica thread reports error on ALTER ONLINE after LOCK WRITE
>
> Commit 878a92e (MDEV-28943) changes the behavior of ALTER TABLE under
> prelocking. It now ignores passed LOCK= value in that case.
>
> However, LOCK TABLES command is never replicated, so the replica node
> remains unaware of it.
>
> The solution would be to guess on the replica side on the mode used by
> master. To make a deduction reliable, master's locked_tables_mode state
> is passed for query log events.

VP of MariaDB Server Engineering
and security@xxxxxxxxxxx

Follow ups