Re: b1b38b64598: MDEV-29181 Potential corruption on FK update on a table with vcol index

Hello, Sergei!

On Thu, 1 Sept 2022 at 15:23, Sergei Golubchik <serg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, Nikita,
>
> On Aug 30, Nikita Malyavin wrote:
> > revision-id: b1b38b64598 (mariadb-10.5.17-4-gb1b38b64598)
> > parent(s): 3b656ac8c17
> > author: Nikita Malyavin
> > committer: Nikita Malyavin
> > timestamp: 2022-08-23 00:27:39 +0300
> > message:
> >
> > MDEV-29181 Potential corruption on FK update on a table with vcol
> >
> > vc_templ->mysql_table concept is completely broken. This table pointer
> > persists with a global access and can be overwritten by arbitrary
> > thread. Like it wasn't enough, it also could become invalid after
> > eviction from tc cache.
>
> this is a bit misleading. I agree it's completely broken, though :)
>
> But not "this table pointer", because, of course it persists with a
> global access and can be overwritten and so on. This is by design, it's
> protected by mysql_table_query_id.

> The problem is that table (dict_table_t) argument of
> innodb_find_table_for_vc() points to a shared data structure, not thread
> local, as I believed. So vc_templ is shared too.

Well, that just wasn't the only problem:) But yes, mentioning it in the
commit message is worth it, too. I will think on how to rewrite it better.

> > This new solution simply does the following:
> > * Sets up a referenced table list in TABLE instance (sql_base.cc)
> > * Iterates through it along with dict_table_t::referenced_set
> >   (row_upd_check_references_constraints)
> > * Passes corresponding prebuilt through a call chain to
> >   row_ins_foreign_check_on_constraint
> > * Sets up newly created upd_node_t::prebuilt field and uses it
> > accordingly is cascade update.
>
> Is this upd_node_t::prebuilt used anywhere? As a prebuilt, I mean.
> I couldn't find it (it's a complex patch, so I couldn've missed it).
> As far as I can see, it's only used to store a pointer to TABLE.
>
> So it seems to me than a simpler fix for this bug could be:
> * remove vc_templ caching (mysql_table and mysql_table_query_id)
> * store TABLE* in upd_node_t.
>
> Not sure about the lifetimes, so it's not necessarily simpler. prebuilt is
not used in this patch,
but it is used during online row logging to convert the row to [my]sql
format.

--
Yours truly,
Nikita Malyavin