Re: explain for insert/update/delete

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 07:53:50 -0700
MARK CALLAGHAN <mdcallag@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Does MariaDB have any plans to support explain for
> insert/update/delete/replace/CTAS? There have been feature requests
> open for a very long time on official MySQL without any progress. I
> have had a few problems in production from 'bad' delete statements
> that had a very different plan than the select statement with the same
> where clause. The only way to check for a bad plan today is to use
> SHOW INNODB STATUS to determine whether the statement locks all rows
> in a table.
>
> http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=14745
> http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=35355

AFAIK at this point a definitive list of possible features to implement
in MariaDB has not been created. That may well be a topic at the
company meeting in 3 weeks.

It is my assumption that we will be looking through historical feature
requests and making some attempt to prioritize them by largest affected
userbase. IOW, I would personally like to implement those features that
will satisfy the largest cross-section of users.

That having been said, feature requests and such non-recurring
engineering is a keystone of the Monty Program business model. You can
guess where I'm going from here ... ;)

--
./k

kurt von finck

http://www.mneptok.com

public key: keyserver.ubuntu.com
key id: 5229D26A
fingerprint: 127A A484 ADBF A5AD E7FB 8CD2 8913 18F4 5229 D26A

Music is the space between the notes. - Debussy