Re: [Maria-developers] Problem with MariaDb as a Windows service

Looks like the relevant code change and resulting bug was introduced
in Rev: 2502.1070.1

revno: 2502.1070.1
branch nick: 5.1-bugteam-bug29751
timestamp: Wed 2010-08-25 15:47:45 +0700  // the date looks recent enough.
message:
  Fixed bug #29751 - do not rename the error log at FLUSH LOGS.
  Added open log file with FILE_SHARE_DELETE flag on Windows.

I tracked it down to line 4649 of mysqld.cc:

#ifdef __WIN__
  if (!opt_console)
  {
    if (reopen_fstreams(log_error_file, stdout, stderr))  // ** this
fails when run as a service/without console.
      unireg_abort(1);  // ** application terminates here!
    setbuf(stderr, NULL);
    FreeConsole();
  }
#endif

Hence the SCM reports that the service terminated unexpectedly.

The problem is that when a process does not have a console allocated
to it, the standard C streams stdout, stderr, etc, are not valid, and
hence _fileno (used inside reopen_fstreams returns -2), which in turn
causes dup2() to fail, and reopen_fstreams() to fail.

-Alex