Re: Question about FORCE INDEX and records_in_range

On 01/27/2011 01:27 PM, Justin Swanhart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> USE INDEX is a hint, and MySQL can choose a different index.  How does
> it do this if records_in_range isn't called for other indexes?

Hi,

USE INDEX literally means that the optimizer MUST take into account ONLY
the indexes from the USE INDEX list when looking for the execution plan.
FORCE INDEX additionally says that any full table scan should be
considered as very expensive.

Regards,
Igor.