Suggested sample my.cnf for MariaDB package

All,

I proposed updating the packaged my.cnf sample files before. After
some thinking and deliberation, here are my thoughts on the sample
my.cnf:

1. There are so many factors that affect settings in my.cnf so it is
impossible to please everybody. There is a lot of debates on this.
2. There are values in having just ONE sample my.cnf to get beginners started
3. It should be short
4. It should incorporate best practices, to the extent that best
practices can be agreed
5. It should benefit as many people as possible

My proposal is pasted below. Comments welcome. At the same time,
constant back-and-forth bickering won't benefit much either, in my
opinion.

Thanks,
Haidong "Alex" Ji

# MariaDB/Percona/Oracle MySQL programs look for option files in a set of
# locations which depend on the deployment platform.
# You can copy this option file to one of those
# locations. For information about these locations, see:
# http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/option-files.html
#
# For detailed definition of settings, see URL below:
# http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/server-system-variables.html

# Please do your own research, consult various resources
# and experts for optimal settings for your own needs.
# Some basic ones are provided below to get you started.

# The following options will be passed to all MySQL clients
[client]
port            = 3306
socket          = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

# The MySQL server
[mysqld]
port            = 3306
socket          = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
user=mysql

log-bin         = mysql-bin
log-slow-queries
sync_binlog     = 1
expire_logs_days= 10
wait_timeout    = 30

#server-id       = last octet of IP address
#character-set-server 		= utf8

[mysqldump]
quick

Follow ups