Re: MariaDB 5.6

Peter Laursen <peter_laursen@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I noticed this on planet.mysql: http://kb.askmonty.org/v/plans-for-56
>
> I *again* strongly want to discourage a major version number identical with
> a MySQL/Oracle release.  MySQL plans a 5.6 too and I believe that there is
> already a source-tree available on launchpad. I think I understand that
> MariaDB 5.6 is planned to use MySQL 5.5 codebase.  Am I correct?

I don't think we would use 5.6 for MariaDB based on MySQL 5.5 (as opposed to
MySQL 5.6) codebase. That would be confusing indeed.

MariaDB 5.6 would be a version that included MySQL 5.6. If we need to release
what we now call "5.6" before MySQL 5.6 is released/stable, I think we would
need to come up something else...

Similarly, the next release of MariaDB will be called 5.5 or 5.3, depending on
whether we decide to include MySQL MySQL 5.5 or not.

> I have now posted this complaint 2 or 3 times (including the times I
> complained about the use of 5.2 for a mariaDB based on MySQL 5.1 code as
> there is alose a (now abandoned) MySQL 5.2 tree.  I never had a reply from a
> MariaDB 'decisionmaker'.  Could I at least request a reply this time?
> Please! :-)

I also do not think current version schema is perfect. However, do you have a
better suggestion?

The good thing about MariaDB 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.5, 5.6, ... is that given
MariaDB X and MySQL Y, you can know that MariaDB X includes all of MySQL Y
(and thus can be used as a drop-in replacement) as long as X >= Y.

Can we do something better that solves your concerns, and still preserves this
nice property in some way?

 - Kristian.