Re: MySQL's future in Debian and Ubuntu

I don't know if this will post but I was working on RHEL approving MariaDB.
I had long discussion with what seemed to be smart folk with RPM packaging
on IRC, I'd need to present it on a mailing list and really find what they
wanted. Not too hard of a path.

In my honest opinion having MariaDB and friends use separate ports
(Network) and have a package that makes them take over MySQL and make the
system appear it has MySQL they can choose that, or run both side by side.
This is what RHEL said would have to be done pretty much, even some said
these forks are nice but it's just easier to go this route then everyones
happier. So then just make a package that changes mariadb port # to 3306,
remove mysql, install package that is provides mysql and it's friends so
mysql appears installed, and move from mariadb db directory and move
(backup) mysql's and copy/symlink mariadb's default.

This would leave a simple package manager, managed stuff.

I'm currently really late on delivering RHEL6 RPM's, I hoped to deliver
them for our internal needs and deliver a variety and a spec file to fix
the buildbot but things been slow.

If you guys do it like I eventually figured out for RHEL approval it's a
easy route which is why we may as well go that way. Sure you can be on
other repo's but we were talking about near main, and debian/ubuntu
shouldn't have a complaint if theirs a package dedicated to disabling mysql
if the person specifically wants that, but if people go to install "mysql"
and it does mariadb, or install mariadb and it replaces mysql that could
cause confusion is the general...

I'm a BSD fan tbh but all our systems run Linux =/

William C. Manns
www.XenServ.com Owner & Senior Executive Director