Re: MySQL's future in Debian and Ubuntu

Hi!

On 16 Feb 2012, at 10:01, Stewart Smith wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 18:31:05 +0800, Colin Charles <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> To remain backward compatible, the idea of using the same port number,
>> data files, etc. seem to be in play. If we are to apply for a new port
>> number we have to change the protocol to some extent
>
> We have the same issue with Percona Server and also with Drizzle (to a
> lesser extent).
>
> Maybe somebody can point out how RHEL/Fedora do multiple web servers or
> email servers as that's essentially what we have here. Surely things
> like nginx, lighttpd and postfix are also packaged for RHEL/Fedora?

Its called the alternatives packaging system. I have posted a reference to this here before. It also requires we change the MySQL package. Should we work on this as a community effort?

Drizzle has its own port, uses different data files, etc. -- what's the problem there?

--
Colin Charles, http://bytebot.net/blog/ | twitter: @bytebot | skype: colincharles
MariaDB: Community developed. Feature enhanced. Backward compatible.