Re: [debian-mysql] MySQL's future in Debian and Ubuntu

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Bjoern Boschman <bjoern@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 16.02.2012 00:57, Henrik Ingo wrote:
>> Percona Server is like MariaDB in that both of them are compatible
>> with MySQL and you could do a plug-and-play replacement. Percona
>> Server is much closer to MySQL (which many think is great), shall
>> I say more focused. MariaDB has more deviation in the code base and
>> also adds more stuff like additional storage engines (which many
>> think is great, especially when you want to play with new
>> features).
>
> The additional storage engine also applies to percona :-)

Ok, fair point, but MariaDB really goes out of its way to have lots of
them: PBXT, OQGraph engine, Sphinx, Aria...  You won't find these
(unless you contract Percona to provide them for you) in Percona
Server. These are not that commonly used but more niche. But they are
the reason I commonly label MariaDB as "has more stuff".

henrik

--
henrik.ingo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
+358-40-8211286 skype: henrik.ingo irc: hingo

My LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=9522559