Re: [debian-mysql] MySQL's future in Debian and Ubuntu

2012/2/17 Björn Boschman <bjoern@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> This leads us to the following options:
>  * Stay with MySQL but no security nor bugfixes
>  * Search for an alternative which is even 100% compatible with MySQL +
> having full community support

For completeness, let me also defend Oracle for a change :-) There's
also the 3rd option:

 * Stay with MySQL and blindly apply the updates that Oracle continues
to release as GPL.

The downside - which our Canonical maintainers seem to dislike - is
the "blindly" part. The fixes are GPL, but the bugs are not public, so
we don't know what they fix. Most Linux distributions like to take a
minimalist approach to updates, so they'd like to just fix the most
critical bugs. The information to do that is now hidden.

But to put things in context, in MySQL 5.0 series the situation was
the opposite: The bugs were public but the publicly released  and GPL
licensed bug fixes would be up to 6 months delayd in favor of paying
customers getting them instantly. In some ways, the current situation
is still better than back then.

henrik

--
henrik.ingo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
+358-40-8211286 skype: henrik.ingo irc: hingo

My LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=9522559