Re: [Maria-developers] MySQL bug affects mariaDB

The command line clients are not services, and they are not started with --defaults-file, this is correct.

But

1.We install shortcut to mysql client and shortcut does have  --defaults-file , and the default-file points to the right place, i.e whenever you installed the mysql server instance

On my machine (I used the default x64 installation), MySQL client shortcut is  this

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k " "C:\Program Files\MariaDB 5.5\bin\mysql.exe" "--defaults-file=C:\Program Files\MariaDB 5.5\data\my.ini" -uroot -p"”

2. Out installation also provides another shortcut – called Command Prompt( MariaDB …)

It could be used to call arbitrary client utilities, mysqladmin or somesuch .It uses yet another,  less known, trick to force client utilities to look for correct my.ini - it sets environment variable MYSQL_HOME to point to the the datadir  ( Besides, it also sets PATH to include “bin” directory, so that calling mysqladmin or mysql would not result in “path not found”)

The inspiration for this shortcut was a very similar feature of Visual Studio , the “Visual Studio 20xx Command Line”.

The summary of my.ini client-side support is that :

If you install with MSI,  installer will create  shortcuts that help client utilities to find correct my.ini . You can have multiple versions of the MariaDB installed, and the shortcuts will still work correctly – every version specific shortcut would point to version-specific my.ini

Thus, I’d argue that this bug does not affect MariaDB.