Re: New Question: Maximum number of columns

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/column-count-limit.html

normally you have a serious problem if you reach that limits
because it won't scale well and the scheme is at least
questionable

select(*) even with most empty will create large results
inserts/updates are much slower