MariaDB 10.0.10 - InnoDB confusion?

Greetings,

I'm not sure if I'm doing something particularly stupid, but I'm having
difficulty using InnoDB (the XtraDB version) with MariaDB v.10.0.10.  The
engine shows as disabled in my configuration for reasons I'm unclear on.

I'm using a mirror of the apt repository (from
http://mariadb.org/mariadb/repositories/) on Ubuntu 14.04 server, running on
x86_64.  The currently installed version is 10.0.10+maria-1~trusty .

My configuration includes changing the default table type:

  # defaults to innodb
  default_storage_engine = aria

That works as expected.  However, when I create a table specifying
`ENGINE=InnoDB`, the table is actually created as an Aria table, and a warning
is logged:

  > show warnings;
  +---------+------+---------------------------------+
  | Level   | Code | Message                         |
  +---------+------+---------------------------------+
  | Warning | 1286 | Unknown storage engine 'InnoDB' |
  +---------+------+---------------------------------+

Sure enough, the InnoDB engine shows as not supported:

  > show engines;
  [...]
  | InnoDB             | NO      | Percona-XtraDB, Supports transactions.... |

I haven't done anything specifically to disable XtraDB/InnoDB support.

Looking through the documentation, knowledge basse, and mailing list archives
hasn't turned up anything related.  The only thing I found was this, in the
documentation for the ignore_builtin_innodb variable:

  ignore_builtin_innodb

      the built in InnoDB storage engine to be ignored. In MariaDB 5.5, InnoDB
      is the default and is always present, so this variable is ignored and
      setting it results in a warning. In MariaDB 10.0.x, this variable
      currently needs to be set.

I'm not sure exactly what it means by saying it "needs to be set" with this
version of MariaDB (doc bug?).  If I add `ignore_builtin_innodb = 1` to my
configuration, then the server refuses to start, complaining about
unrecognized configuration options in the config, basically anything to do
with innodb (innodb_file_per_table, innodb_checksum_algorithm, etc).

Am I missing something?  Is there a way to use Aria as the default table type
while still allowing the use of XtraDB-provided InnoDB tables as well?

Any assistance appreciated.  Thanks,

Charles
Charles Cazabon       <charlesc-web-register-launchpad.net@xxxxxxxxxx>
Software, consulting, and services available at http://pyropus.ca/