Ubuntu 14.04 + MariaDB engines

Hi gerry,

You asked why TokuDB and SphinxSE isn't in stock MariaDB that you get from Ubuntu 14.04, and I shall attempt to answer that for you (Ubuntu packages are inherited from upstream Debian fwiw)

From /etc/lsb-release:
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 14.04 LTS"

select version() gives:
5.5.37-MariaDB-0ubuntu0.14.04.1

When I do show engines; I see Sphinx:
| SPHINX             | YES     | Sphinx storage engine                                                      | NO           | NO   | NO         |

You can verify it exists in /usr/lib/mysql/plugin. By default, there are 11 "engines" listed

If you follow https://mariadb.com/kb/en/how-to-enable-tokudb-in-mariadb/ you may be disappointed not to see TokuDB (since it appeared in 5.5.33 - simple answer is that its disabled, just like oqgraph

See commit: http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-mysql/mariadb-5.5.git;a=commit;h=68a065587d7a29006276b3f9bb7188041652c910

You can however continue to get TokuDB from our mariadb repositories, using the repository config tool

HTH

cheers,
-colin

--
Colin Charles, Chief Evangelist, SkySQL - The MariaDB Company
blog: http://bytebot.net/blog/| t: +6-012-204-3201 | Skype: colincharles