Re: MariaDB encryption

Hi Jonas,
(same Jonas we know from NDBCLUSTER? :-) Good to see you again)

On 6 Jun 2014, at 02:31, Jonas Oreland <jonaso@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I read this blog post
> http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2014/05/for-your-eyes-only-or-adding-better.html
> and wanted to inform you that we at Google has developed on-disk/block-level encryption for Innodb, aria (as used by temporary tables), binlogs and temp-files.
>
> The code is not yet published, but we expect it to be within a few weeks or so.
> We (of course?) think that it would be better if you instead of developing new code
> spent the time testing/reviewing ours.
>
> I'm happy to answer questions on the topic,
> and will let you know once we've published it.

This is great news!

From what I gather, from Monty's blog post (and a 1:1 we had some time back), this is something done by a partner/external company that has a mostly OSS solution, that we should integrate into 10.1

That said, Google's release of something that works for InnoDB, Aria, binlogs, temp files (and presumably not too hard to add for MyISAM) is something we should definitely review and target for 10.1

Is there more coming out in a few weeks, i.e. another big Google patch planned? Or just this feature? I think it'd be great to coordinate, and get this into Jira, as these are great tasks for 10.1 and will be a positive differentiator going forward

Thanks again for the wonderful news

cheers,
-colin