Re: MariaDB 10.1 uses huge amount of memory onWndows

Well,you are right

-- 10.0:
=====

SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'innodb_buffer%'

Variable_name                        VALUE
-----------------------------------  ----------------
innodb_buffer_pool_dump_at_shutdown  OFF
innodb_buffer_pool_dump_now          OFF
innodb_buffer_pool_filename          ib_buffer_pool
innodb_buffer_pool_instances         8
innodb_buffer_pool_load_abort        OFF
innodb_buffer_pool_load_at_startup   OFF
innodb_buffer_pool_load_now          OFF
innodb_buffer_pool_populate          OFF
innodb_buffer_pool_size              2133852160

[mysqld]
datadir=C:/Program Files/MariaDB 10.0/data
port=3313
sql_mode="STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION"
default_storage_engine=innodb
innodb_buffer_pool_size=2035M
innodb_log_file_size=50M
[client]
port=3313

-- 10.1
=====

SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'innodb_buffer%'

Variable_name                        VALUE
-----------------------------------  ----------------
innodb_buffer_pool_dump_at_shutdown  OFF
innodb_buffer_pool_dump_now          OFF
innodb_buffer_pool_filename          ib_buffer_pool
innodb_buffer_pool_instances         8
innodb_buffer_pool_load_abort        OFF
innodb_buffer_pool_load_at_startup   OFF
innodb_buffer_pool_load_now          OFF
innodb_buffer_pool_populate          OFF
innodb_buffer_pool_size              4289724416

[mysqld]
datadir=C:/Program Files/MariaDB 10.1/data
port=3314
sql_mode="STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION"
default_storage_engine=innodb
innodb_buffer_pool_size=4091M
innodb_log_file_size=50M
character-set-server=utf8
[client]
port=3314

I did not notice the setting during installaton. IMO it is a rather
aggressive settng for a desktop/developer/application testing system from
10.1.  But of course I should have compared configurations.

(BTW - SuSe 12.3 skips this config with no explicit innodb buffer pool
setting (commented lines removed):

[client]
# this section is empty

[mysqld]
innodb_file_format=Barracuda
innodb_file_per_table=ON
sql_mode=NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION,STRICT_TRANS_TABLES

[mysqld_multi]
mysqld     = /usr/bin/mysqld_safe
mysqladmin = /usr/bin/mysqladmin
log        = /var/log/mysqld_multi.log
# details for multi instances all commented here

!includedir /etc/my.cnf.d
# my.cnf.d contains load statements to plugin .so's for blackhole,
federated and archive engines - all commented out.)

..so it is all explained.  But I think such setting should be more visible
in the installer interface, in particular since it seems to have been
changed between 10.0 and 10.1. But not a big issue of course.

-- Peter