Re: Serious problem with latest (10.0.16) Windows installer - destroys services.

Hi Peter,

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Peter Laursen
<peter_laursen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have MariaDB 5.5, 10.0 and 10.1 installed (as Windows services named
> 'maria55'. 'maria10' and 'maria10_1' ) and always update them to latest soon
> after an update is available. Yesterday morning I installed 10.0.16 on top
> of 10.0.15 using the .msi installer.  When I tried to connect to it a few
> hours later it was not possible.  I thought the service might not be
> running. It wasn't.  Actually it did not exist anymore at all!  "net start
> maria10" returned "service does not exist" (and indeed it did not appear in
> Windows "services management" interface). I copied the /datadir, uninstalle
> , did a fresh install of 10.0.16d (choosing the option not to upgrade any
> existing server) and copied the old /datadir back. Now Maria 10.0(.16) works
> again.

We were aware that an older version of the 10.0.16 MSI installer for
Windows inadvertently removed the maria service. I believe the MSI
installer that is now available for download does not have this
problem.

For anyone else who is experiencing this issue, Elena has posted a fix
in the comments of the JIRA issue:

https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/MDEV-7531

> But now I see that the 'maria55' service is also gone from the system. Files
> are intact. I can repeat the exercise I did with 10.0 of course or install
> service again from commandline. Not a big problem, but very annoying and
> waste of time.

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm not sure if anyone was aware that
the installer also removed services of other versions of MariaDB.

Maybe a variant of Elena's fix will get these other services back for you?

e.g. (make sure the paths match yours):

"C:\Program Files\MariaDB 5.5\bin\mysqld.exe" --install maria55
"--defaults-file=C:\Program Files\MariaDB 5.5\data\my.ini"

"C:\Program Files\MariaDB 10.1\bin\mysqld.exe" --install maria10_1
"--defaults-file=C:\Program Files\MariaDB 10.1\data\my.ini"

Thanks,

Geoff