From: Justin Swanhart [mailto:greenlion@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 1:19 AM
To: Peter Boston
Cc: Maria Discuss
Subject: Re: [Maria-discuss] questions from a new user

Hi,

You've asked a lot of questions, so I feel it is best to reply inline.

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 10:35 PM, Peter Boston <peterboston1212@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am new to use mariadb on linux machine. I am using Fedora 20 and I have downloaded the mariadb 10.0.15 tar.gz file and its instruction. I removed the existing mariadb from my Fedora 20. I have installed the mariadb on my machine by following the official instruction. It seems successful (without error) but I cannot start it as expected. I also have few other basic questions.

Some background information here: this database will be accessed by a local application. This local application may be running under a  general user account, user1. I installed it in /var/local as a root user.

Questions:

1.            How to uninstall it completely? I want to try again to see if I did anything wrong before.

You can remove all of the mariadb RPM files at once with the following command
sudo yum --remove mariadb\*

OR
sudo rpm --erase $(rpm -qa mariadb\*)

This might leave behind some files.  In particular, /var/log/mysqld.log might be a symlink to another location, so:
rm -rf /var/log/mysqld* /var/log/mariadb*

There might be a /etc/my.cnf from mariadb.  It /should/ be compatible with other versions of MySQL including MariaDB

2.            Because it will be accessed by a local application and the local application will be running by a general user, user1, should I install it with user1?

Normally MySQL runs as the 'mysql' user.  It starts mysqld as root because it binds to a low port (3306), then switches to mysql.  You can have it switch to any user you like by putting user=username in the [mysqld] section of the my.cnf, the default is user=mysql

3.            Basically I am confused with these three users: user1, mysql and root.

                “user1” will be used to run the application and login the machine. “mysql” will be used to connect the mariadb. “root” will be used to install mariadb into /usr/local. Who will start the mariadb?  It will be “root”, I guess. But if “root” starts the service, “user1” and “mysql” don’t have problem to access its resources?

See the answer to my previous question.

4.            If I don't want to install it as root, can I still install it under the /usr/local directory?

Only root can write to /usr/local (unless you have permissions different from default) so you must install the software as root to create files in /usr/local.  When you install the database use:
sudo mysql_install_db --user=username

Again, the default username is mysql.  This will ensure the data directory is owned by the mysql user, or whichever user you specified on the commandline.  If you specify a user other than mysql, you MUST add user=username to the [mysqld] section of my.cnf

5.            I renamed the my-large.cnf to .my.cnf and uncomment the InnoDB table section. Is this only change I need to make if I want to use InnoDB? should I disable the myisam? how?

You can not disable MyISAM.  Just leave it at the defaults.

6.            where should I put the .my.cnf file? put into the home directory of the user who starts the mariadb or the user who logon the system if they are different?

You can place a my.cnf directory in the data directory, start mysql with:
sudo mysqld_safe --defaults-file=/path/to/other/my.cnf &

7.            there is a my.cnf file from the Fedora 20 installation, when I start mariadb without the "--defaults-file=~/.my.cnf" option, I will get the following error from the log:

                [ERROR] mysqld: Can't create/write to file '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid' (Errcode: 2 "No such file or directory")

                I have to manually create the mysqld folder inside the /var/run folder each time after reboot. how to avoid this?

Var run is cleaned at each reboot.  Either create /var/run/mysqld at startup (rc.local?) or use pidfile=/path/to/pidfile in the [mysqld_safe] section of my.cnf

8.            After started with that "old" my.cnf, I try to stop the mariadb but cannot because I cannot find its service name:

                [user1@dev2 mysql]$ ./bin/mysqladmin -u root -p status

                Enter password:

                Uptime: 685  Threads: 1  Questions: 3  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 0  Flush tables: 1  Open tables: 62  Queries per second avg: 0.004

                [user1@dev2 mysql]$ sudo systemctl status mariadb.service

                mariadb.service

                   Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)

                   Active: inactive (dead)

                [user1@dev2 mysql]$ sudo systemctl status mysql.service

                mysql.service

                   Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)

                   Active: inactive (dead)

                [user1@dev2 mysql]$ sudo systemctl status mysqld.service

                mysqld.service

                   Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)

                   Active: inactive (dead)

                how stop it?

The tarball can't create services.  You can either copy the service file from the /usr/local/mysql/share directory to /etc/rc.d (I am not sure how this works on systemd, actually, but I think it will) and use the service command.  You can always just start mysql with mysqld_safe, and shut it down by either sending the KILL signal to mysql (killall mysqld, for example) or you can shut it down with the command:

mysqladmin -uroot -ppassword shutdown

9.            if I start mariadb with the renamed my-large.cnf ([root@dev2 mysql]# ./bin/mysqld_safe --defaults-file=~/.my.cnf --user=mysql), I got the following error:

                150225  0:09:28 [ERROR] Can't open the mysql.plugin table. Please run mysql_upgrade to create it.

                150225  0:09:28 [Note] Recovering after a crash using mysql-bin

                150225  0:09:28 [Note] Starting crash recovery...

                150225  0:09:28 [Note] Crash recovery finished.

                150225  0:09:28 [Warning] Failed to load slave replication state from table mysql.gtid_slave_pos: 1146: Table 'mysql.gtid_slave_pos' doesn't exist

                150225  0:09:28 [ERROR] Can't open and lock privilege tables: Table 'mysql.servers' doesn't exist

                150225  0:09:28 [Note] Server socket created on IP: '::'.

                150225  0:09:28 [ERROR] Fatal error: Can't open and lock privilege tables: Table 'mysql.user' doesn't exist

                150225 00:09:28 mysqld_safe mysqld from pid file /usr/local/mysql/data/dev2.pid ended

I don't think you ran mysql_install_db ?

                Then I try do upgrade as suggested above:

                [root@dev2 mysql]# ./bin/mysql_upgrade

                Version check failed. Got the following error when calling the 'mysql' command line client

                ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2 "No such file or directory")

                FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed

                so I think I need to make the mariadb running first, I use above 7 to make server running and then do upgrade, I got the following errors:

                [user1@dev2 mariadb-10.0.15-linux-x86_64]$ sudo ./bin/mysql_upgrade

                [sudo] password for user1:

                Phase 1/5: Checking mysql database

                Processing databases

                mysql

                mysql.column_stats                                 OK

                mysql.columns_priv                                 OK

                mysql.db                                           OK

                mysql.event                                        OK

                mysql.func                                         OK

                mysql.gtid_slave_pos

                Error    : Table 'mysql.gtid_slave_pos' doesn't exist in engine

                status   : Operation failed

                mysql.help_category                                OK

                mysql.help_keyword                                 OK

                mysql.help_relation                                OK

                mysql.help_topic                                   OK

                mysql.host                                         OK

                mysql.index_stats                                  OK

                mysql.innodb_index_stats

                Error    : Table 'mysql.innodb_index_stats' doesn't exist in engine

                status   : Operation failed

                mysql.innodb_table_stats

                Error    : Table 'mysql.innodb_table_stats' doesn't exist in engine

                status   : Operation failed

                mysql.plugin                                       OK

                mysql.proc                                         OK

                mysql.procs_priv                                   OK

                mysql.proxies_priv                                 OK

                mysql.roles_mapping                                OK

                mysql.servers                                      OK

                mysql.table_stats                                  OK

                mysql.tables_priv                                  OK

                mysql.time_zone                                    OK

                mysql.time_zone_leap_second                        OK

                mysql.time_zone_name                               OK

                mysql.time_zone_transition                         OK

                mysql.time_zone_transition_type                    OK

                mysql.user                                         OK

                Repairing tables

                mysql.gtid_slave_pos

                Error    : Table 'mysql.gtid_slave_pos' doesn't exist in engine

                status   : Operation failed

                mysql.innodb_index_stats

                Error    : Table 'mysql.innodb_index_stats' doesn't exist in engine

                status   : Operation failed

                mysql.innodb_table_stats

                Error    : Table 'mysql.innodb_table_stats' doesn't exist in engine

                status   : Operation failed

                Phase 2/5: Running 'mysql_fix_privilege_tables'...

                ERROR 1932 (42S02) at line 580: Table 'mysql.innodb_index_stats' doesn't exist in engine

                ERROR 1932 (42S02) at line 583: Table 'mysql.innodb_table_stats' doesn't exist in engine

                FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed

                why I cannot run mariadb with the my.cnf which comes with this version of mariadb? The old my.cnf doesn't have innoDB section and I cannot enable it. Is this the reason? does the Fedora 20 support mariadb 10.0.15?

I don't think you used the mysql_install_db from mariadb 10.  Try clearing the data directory and running mysql_install_db.

Thanks,

Peter