Re: R: GSOC 2015 :UDFs returning arrays

Hi, Justin!

On Mar 10, Justin Swanhart wrote:

> I am not sure of the point of that mdev.  First, arrays are not table
> functions.  Arrays are data structures.  A table function can certainly
> return all the items in an array data structure as rows (which would be
> part of #820)  but that doesn't mean that a table function could replace an
> ARRAY data type.  Arrays also have to be able to be passed to stored
> routines and stored in tables too, or they are virtually useless.

Yes, the subject says "UDF returning arrays/ result set",
and the point is to have result set, not just an array.

> Second, WL#820, which far precedes that mdev, adds real table functions
> without magic "pretend" storage engine as suggested in the later mdev.  In
> any case, you can't return an array or table, from a UDF, without changing
> the UDF interface which will break other UDF.  The UDF interface IS NOT
> VERSIONED.

Right. But MDEV-5199 doesn't need to use or extend existing UDF
interface. It simply uses "UDF" to mean "user definable function"
without implying that it has anything to do with existing UDFs.

> wl#820 adds external stored procedures and doesn't modify the udf interface
> (UDF can rot)  The mysql bug link I sent makes item functions internally
> pluggable, so they could support table functions as well and provide a
> replacement for UDF.  Add an ARRAY data type and implement these patches
> (which are from Antony Curtis) and you'll get what you want.
> It would be a real shame to replace wl#820 work with some half-backed UDF
> that has not access to internals.

This is largely unrelated. This MDEV-5199 is about user functions that
can return a table. Something like

  SELECT * FROM t1, tf(15, NOW()) as t2 WHERE t1.a=t2.b;

So, it's about the server that can invoke a UDF in this context and
retrieve many rows from the user function.

While wl#820 is about the language in which this user function is
written.

Regards,
Sergei