Re: How many open files by daemon is still sane?

Hi,

If a MyISAM table is not in the table_open_cache, it will be opened by the
query that needs the table.  To increase the chances of the table being in
the table_open_cache, increase the size to 4000 for a start (1/10 of your
current open files).

Be careful though.  Increasing the table_open_cache increases the amount of
time it takes to search the table cache, as the search is linear through
the structure that holds the table_cache.  It also increases the time for a
flush tables operation.

Also increase table_definition_cache.  This value is hash backed, so the
performance impact of increasing it is minimal.  I would increase it to
40000 since you have 40000 open files.

These value changes can be made online.