Simple Password Check plugin Backported to 5.5

It's taken some time, but I have backported the simple_password_check
plugin and the password api to MariaDB 5.5  The mysql-test is succeeding on
all but the test of the strict_password_validation variable.

My question is, should a pure backport include support for
strict_password_validation variable (
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/server-system-variables/#strict_password_validation)
?  I suspect yes, but wanted to ask to start a further discussion:  namely
if I submit this patch will it be included in future MariaDB 5.5 releases?
It will help customer enforce password complexity beneficial for security
auditing.

Let me know and I'll submit patch or submit via recommended method.

Thank you,
Adam Scott

p.s.
I sent this message on Apr 27 as a reply to the mailing lists for a thread
started back in January, but I haven't seen my reply show up in the public
archive. Colin suggested I let you know when I have backported the plugin.