Question about Galera "pc.recovery" feature

Hi all!

We recently discovered the configuration
wsrep_provider_options="pc.recovery=TRUE" and set about to set this
configuration, as we'd like to avoid unnecessary boostrapping whenever
possible. We were further surprised to discover that this feature had been
enabled by default.

But we were frustrated in our attempts to trigger this feature to actually
observe it in action.

I understand that the feature is intended to recover from full cluster
crashes _such as_ a power outage, but we were unable to come up with a
scenario in which we could interrupt the cluster and watch it recover
automatically. This included deploying to AWS and setting all three nodes
to 'stop' then 'start.' In each instance, we had to manually bootstrap.

Am I misunderstanding the feature, or the conditions under which we can
trigger it?

--
  Marco Nicosia
  Product Manager