Getting PAM auth to work with JDBC

I've got the PAM authentication to work, as long as I use a plain command
line MariaDB client or HeidiSQL. But I need things to work with JDBC as
well.

I've found some instructions what seem to indicate that I need to somehow
make the JDBC connection use SQL and plain-text authentication. But I have
not been able to find specific instructions on doing that. (The
instructions, I've seen seem to mainly point to other documents in a
circular/byzantine way.)

Has someone got the combination of a JDBC client and an PAM-enabled
MariaDB server to work? If so: Can you shed some light on the steps you
went through?

Thanks in advance.

Troels Arvin
http://troels.arvin.dk