Re: ODBC.NET DOWNLOAD

Hi Bruce,

It's an important aspect you bring up. I'm afraid however that having the
binaries behind login is a conscious decision.

All connector source code is of course open and available on Github and
everyone is more than welcome to participate in the development of them.
The main organization currently behind the connectors is MariaDB
Corporation, meaning that most of the development, building, testing and
packaging for the various platforms happens there.

To be able to develop, for example, the connectors further, the company
needs to somehow be able to reach potential users and even in some cases
create some business around them. That is the main reason for requiring
free registration. I hope it's not a huge problem and I think it's a fairly
common practice for open source companies nowadays.

Nothing has however changed regarding licensing of the connectors. They are
still LGPL.

Best regards,
Rasmus

--

Rasmus Johansson, VP Engineering
MariaDB | t: +358 50 499 9589 | Skype: ratzpo