Re: mysql_install_db as user

On 13 Nov 2015 2:51 AM, Sergei Golubchik wrote:

On Nov 12, Felipe Gasper wrote:
Hello,

Is this script supposed to be runnable as a normal (i.e., non-root)
user?

In MySQL 5.6 there is logic that prevents the chown() of the mysql
data dir when running as non-root. MariaDB 10.1.8 doesn’t seem to have
this logic, so the script fails when chown() fails.

Is this change intended? We have tests that verify functionality of
user-created, UNIX-socket-only MySQL/MariaDB servers. These work on
MySQL 5.6 but not on MariaDB 10.1.

There's no special logic around it in MySQL 5.6 and no changes in
MariaDB 10.1.

chown is done if user=xxx is specified on the command line or in the
my.cnf file. And if chown fails, you'll see the error message and
mysql_install_db will abort. Both in MySQL and MariaDB.

Hi Sergei! Thanks for responding. :)

I wonder, are we looking at the same things?

Both scripts say:

By default mysqld runs using your current login name and files and directories that it creates will be owned by you.

The 5.6 box’s mysql_install_db has:

-----------------
  if ($opt_user and -w "/")
  {
    chown($pwnam[2], $pwnam[3], $dir)
      or error($opt, "Could not chown directory $dir");
  }
-----------------

… which will forgo chown() if it’s doomed to fail.

… whereas the MariaDB box has:

-----------------
    chown $user "$dir"
    if test $? -ne 0
    then
echo "Cannot change ownership of the database directories to the '$user'" echo "user. Check that you have the necessary permissions and try again."
      exit 1
    fi
------------------

… which has no safeguard around the chown(). (And is in a different language … ?)

Even if I specify --user, MariaDB still errors:

~/temp $ mysql_install_db --user=felipe mysqldata
chown: changing ownership of `/var/lib/mysql': Operation not permitted
Cannot change ownership of the database directories to the 'felipe'
user.  Check that you have the necessary permissions and try again.

Thank you for your time!

-FG