GTID replication and SST method

Hi,

I am attempting to get remote replication working from my MariaDB Galera Cluster in the following way:

*         MariaDB Galera Cluster replicates to a remote MariaDB DR node via standard master slave method using MariaDB GTID

o   Pick a master node from the cluster

o   Take a backup with xtrabackup-v2

o   Apply backup to slave

o   Connect the slave to the master and replicate using MariaDB GTID

o   If master goes down, switch master to another node in the Galera Clutser

However I am having problems keeping the GTID in step across all the nodes in the Galera cluster when joining new nodes or re-joining existing nodes.

Using the latest version of xtrabackup-v2 the current GTID position is stored in a file as part of the backup, however it does not apply this value to the database when a node is brought into the cluster. A step by step example is below:

*         Cluster is running fine

*         Lots of transactions going through, enough that a new joiner would need an SST

*         Begin joining a new node to the cluster

*         SST via xtrabackup-v2 happens during this process

*         The GTID in the donor is 1-1-12345

*         SST completes joiner is now part of the cluster

*         The GTID on the newly joined node is 1-1-1

*         We now have an out of sync GTID meaning we cannot simply switch master if our current master goes down.

I tried the same scenario using RSYNC as the transfer method and the GTID is replicated across to the joiner without issue.

Ideally I would like continue using xtrabackup-V2 as my SST method because it does very little locking on a state transfer. That being the case are there any work arounds for this, such as a way to ensure the GTID is set on the joiner when the SST happens with xtrabackup-v2?
On the MariaDB pages it does say "xtrabackup-v2  and xtrabackup SST methods currently do not support GTID" is this up-to-date information? https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/galera-cluster-system-variables/#wsrep_sst_method

Thanks,
Craig

Evertz UK

cbailey@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:cbailey@xxxxxxxxxx>

www.evertz.com

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender (as shown above). Kindly do not reproduce, print or forward any material received in error, please delete it immediately. Evertz UK Limited (Company No. 3458137) is incorporated in England and Wales and has its registered office at 100 Berkshire Place, Wharfedale Road, Winnersh, Wokingham, Berkshire, United Kingdom, RG41 5RD. Evertz Singapore Pte Limited (Company No. 200817005N) is incorporated in Singapore and has its registered office at One Marina Boulevard, #28-00. Singapore 018989.

Follow ups