Horrendeous InnoDB crash

Got a huge crash today, right after initializing my first MariaDB database
(see below). Got several more errors about tables having crashed later on,
and MariaDB wouldn't even start up any more (I wound up wiping the entire
database).

So, my question is, what could cause MariaDB to fail so horrendeously?! I
though InnoDB was supposed to be *better* than myisam!? Is is because maybe
Windows 10 doesn't give MariaDB enough time to shut down gracefully? Could
it be because a Windows scheduler job (potentially) aborts the fetcher
script when it's still running? (Again, I though InnoDB was supposed to be
transaction-safe).

In its current state, MariaDB is completely unusable for me.

And no, I don't have hard disk errors. :)

Seriously, though, I could use some major insight!

Thanks.

2016-06-06 10:32:15 2552 [Note] Server socket created on IP: '::'.

2016-06-06 10:32:15 2552 [Note] C:\xampp\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe: ready for
connections.

Version: '10.1.13-MariaDB'  socket: ''  port: 3306  mariadb.org binary
distribution

InnoDB: Error: trying to access page number 251010 in space 69,

InnoDB: space name news/commentsxover,

InnoDB: which is outside the tablespace bounds.

InnoDB: Byte offset 0, len 16384, i/o type 10.

InnoDB: If you get this error at mysqld startup, please check that

InnoDB: your my.cnf matches the ibdata files that you have in the

InnoDB: MySQL server.

2016-06-06 08:47:46 e08  InnoDB: Assertion failure in thread 3592 in file
fil0fil.cc line 5866

InnoDB: We intentionally generate a memory trap.

InnoDB: Submit a detailed bug report to http://bugs.mysql.com.

InnoDB: If you get repeated assertion failures or crashes, even

InnoDB: immediately after the mysqld startup, there may be

InnoDB: corruption in the InnoDB tablespace. Please refer to

InnoDB: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/forcing-innodb-recovery.html

InnoDB: about forcing recovery.

160606  8:47:46 [ERROR] mysqld got exception 0x80000003 ;

This could be because you hit a bug. It is also possible that this binary

or one of the libraries it was linked against is corrupt, improperly built,

or misconfigured. This error can also be caused by malfunctioning hardware.

Follow ups