From: Sergei Golubchik [mailto:serg@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 5:38 PM
To: Campbell Rhys, INI-ON-FIT-TSO-QPM <Rhys.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: maria-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Maria-discuss] Finicky syntax with RETURNING?

Hi, Rhys.Campbell!

On Jul 25, Rhys.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm having a bit of an issue with the RETURNING feature of
> DELETE<https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/delete/>. This was introduced
> in MariaDB 10.0.5. Specifically there seems to be an issue when using
> aliases with the RETURNING keyword.
>
> It involves a query like this. A user came to me with queries of this
> form that were running slowly. Here is the explain plan...
>
> EXPLAIN DELETE from t1 where id in (select id from t1 where acc_id =
> 9999) \G
> You can see it's being forced to run a table scan and run the subquery for each row. This was fixed by properly aliasing the query...
>
> EXPLAIN EXTENDED DELETE uc from t1 AS uc where uc. id in (select p. id
> from t2 p where p.acc_id = 9999) \G

The first query is, internally "single-table DELETE", the second is "multi-table DELETE".

I've reported different plans as a bug https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-10447

DELETE ... RETURNING does not support multi-table delete, it's documented here: https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/delete/

I've created a task to fix it. https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-10448

Regards,