(/usr/include/mysql and libmysqlclient) vs (/usr/include/mariadb libmariadbclient and libmariadb)

First, let me clarify everything here is MariaDB - nothing actually
involving the MySQL code.

In Arch Linux, I'm running a MariaDB server and client.  I installed
the mariadb package, built from the source at:

http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/mariadb/mariadb-10.1.18/source/mariadb-10.1.18.tar.gz

This provides:
- /usr/include/mysql/* (141 .h files)
- /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so
- /usr/lib/libmysqld.so  (I see this is for embedding a MariaDB server
in an application which I don't need, so I'll ignore that for the rest
of my message.)

I have C++ applications that will access MariaDB, and I thought I also
needed mariadb-connector-c, so I built tag v2.3.1 at

https://github.com/MariaDB/mariadb-connector-c

This provides:
- /usr/include/mariadb/* (40 .h files)
- /usr/lib/mariadb/libmariadbclient.a
- /usr/lib/mariadb/libmariadb.so

Q1 -

What's the purpose and difference between libmysqlclient,
libmariadbclient, and libmariadb?  (Ignoring difference shared vs
static library.)

Q2 -

/usr/include/mysql/mysql.h (from
http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/mariadb/mariadb-10.1.18/source/mariadb-10.1.18.tar.gz)

and

/usr/include/mariadb/mysql.h (from tag v2.3.1 at from
https://github.com/MariaDB/mariadb-connector-c)

Are quite similar and have a lot of identical code, but are also way different.

I ran into that /usr/include/mysql/mysql.h defines:

const char * STDCALL mysql_error(MYSQL * myql);

But /usr/include/mariadb/mysql.h defines:

char * STDCALL mysql_error(MYSQL *mysql);

(Note the missing const on the return value.)

I got very confused at this point why the same function is declared in
each, why they're different, which I should be using, etc.

Follow ups