Re: Upgrading From MySQL 5.6 to MariaDB 10.1

Hi Mike [mike bayer],

On 02/24/2017 12:03 AM, mike bayer wrote:

On 02/23/2017 03:17 PM, Michael Caplan wrote:
Hi there,

I'm not seeing any concise information in the MariaDB docs about the
recommended upgrade plan from MySQL 5.6 to MariaDB 10.1. Should I
install MariaDB 10.0 and then 10.1?  Or can I run right to 10.1?

I asked about this in depth about a month ago here:

https://lists.launchpad.net/maria-discuss/msg04248.html

I didn't get any reply, perhaps because it was too detailed or was too
much asking for an "official" reply.   But it looks very much like
mysql_upgrade can be run against a 5.x database straight to 10.1.

Sorry about missing the question.

I would stay cautious claiming anything about "5.x", but for MariaDB 5.5 => 10.1 it should be okay, there are no known reasons for it not to work.

Generally we encourage small jumps rather than big, but 5.5=>10.1 is not too big, it has been tested internally to some extent, and a lot of users must have done it by now, no complaints. If you encounter any issues, please file a bug report.

Data backup before upgrade is always highly recommended.

Regards,
Elena

I'm running an older version of Ubuntu (12.04 Precise).  Looking at the
repo, it looks like I can stick with Precise, and hand that upgrade
later.  Or are there recommended min version of Ubuntu I should hit
first?

Thanks!

Mike