Re: Upgrading From MySQL 5.6 to MariaDB 10.1

On 02/23/2017 05:22 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

Am 23.02.2017 um 23:03 schrieb mike bayer:
On 02/23/2017 03:37 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

normally you just update and run "mysql_upgrade -u root -p"
mysql/mariadb is not postgres

some of us could benefit from official language that we could give to
customers

how do you imagine "official"?

in any sense "official" in teh software world means "you are going from
version x tro version y with *excatly* options z" - well, fine, but taht
don't match more than a few people of the real world anyways

to be honest: such questions are completly useless - if you don#t have a
machine where you can test your data with your configuration 1:1 step
back and get one - that's it and will always be independent of operating
system, software, configuration and data

and even if you have - be prepared that something unexpected happens on
the live machine which did not show on the clone - be prepeared to deal
with it - it's that simple

I work for well known vendor where thousands of customers will at some point be getting 10.1 installed where they previously had 5.6 as part of a larger installation. All other aspects of the OS and configuration remain identical. We need to answer the question whether or not customers are to be told to rebuild a new data directory from scratch and run a full mysqldump, potentially taking many hours, or if the installer can just run mysql_upgrade, taking a few seconds. Asking all our customers to try the whole thing out on a copy of their production machine and to debug their own installation is not an option.

If a piece of software shipped by a software vendor works or not with the datafile from a given version of their software is an answerable question. The mariadb documentation encourages upgrades from 5.5->10.0 for example, and does not suggest that the data directory has to be fully dumped and restored. That's what "official" means in this context.