Re: Partition a Huge table

Hi Suersh
I would add a second slave as insurance before doing this to provide some
risk mitigation. Make sure you have adequate spare space on your slave as
you will want as much again as the table to make changes. make sure you
have chosen the right approach to your partitioning before doing anything.

We have made a number of changes to our system over the past three years to
grow and often made them on the slave and promoted it as the master,
applied the schema change on the old master and added it back as the slave.
We couldn't afford the two or three hours to lock key tables to add columns
and took this approach

Cheers
Peter

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Suresh Rajagopal <sureshr7@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What is the fastest approach to partition a huge table with 2 additional
> columns? How safe its to alter table on slave and promote slave as master?
> It takes 25 hours to alter the table for now on slave.
>
> MariaDB Version : 10.1.18
> OS              : Centos 6
>
> Thanks
> Suresh

*Peter McLarty*
*DBA *
*WHSR*
Compare The Market
P: +61 7 3377 8952
M: +61 4 0209 4238
http://www.comparethemarket.com.au

“Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their
minds cannot change anything.” - George Bernard Shaw

--

Compare The Market is a brand and trading name of Compare The Market (Pty) Ltd (CTM). This email is for the intended addressee and is confidential and subject to copyright.
If you are not the intended addressee, confidentiality has not been waived and any use, interference with, or disclosure of this email is unauthorised.