Re: Page Compression in production and backup strategies

Hi Tim,

We use a slave to take backups from. So, stop the slave, take the backup using your tool of choice, restart the slave. Or, if you need the slave for some read only type uses perhaps, we use mylvmbackup to take a hot backup on the slave without needing to shut down mariadb slave. mylvmbackup is a free script, works well, and, requires lvm and uses snapshots. So, it’s a decent free choice for backups. The backup is easily restored, it’s just a tar archive. We use lz4 compression for great speed in the compression and minimal impact on the slave. It’s easy to restore a slave backup and even make it the master.

Steve