Re: MariaDB Server maintenance policy for 10.0

Hi, Colin!

On Apr 26, Colin Charles wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I just read:
> 	https://mariadb.org/about/maintenance-policy/
>
> It says the 5 year boundary date for support ending for 10.0 is 31 Mar
> 2019, and later goes on to specify why 5.5 has a later EOL, "The
> MariaDB Foundation may decide to maintain selected releases beyond the
> normal 5 years if they are in exceptionally widespread use. As MariaDB
> 5.5 is included in multiple prominent Linux distributions with a
> lifespan beyond 2017, the Foundation is committed in maintaining it
> until 2020."
>
> Is SUSE Enterprise Linux Server 12, with MariaDB Server 10.0, not
> considered a “prominent Linux distribution”? SLES12 released in 2014,
> comes with MariaDB Server 10.0, and requires at least 10 years of
> support (https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/12/).
>
> Just checking to see if the maintenance policy above is in error

No, it is not an error.
There was a discussion and a decision specifically for 5.5.
We simply haven't discussed 10.0 EOL yet, there was no decision not to
extend 10.0 lifespan.

And, strictly speaking, SLES12 is not "multiple distributions" :)

But good point about SUSE, thanks.
Apparently we need to discuss 10.0 EOL too, someday in the course of the
next two years.

Regards,
Sergei
Chief Architect MariaDB