Re: memory allocators and MariaDB

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 9:36 AM, Sergei Golubchik <serg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, MARK!
>
> On Jun 20, MARK CALLAGHAN wrote:
> > Do MariaDB 10.2 binaries use glibc malloc or get built with one of
> tcmalloc
> > or jemalloc? Sorry for being lazy, as I have yet to install it.
>
> glibc malloc.
> Only ha_tokudb.so gets linked with jemalloc.

Thanks, I neglected to share a link to a result from the past to show the
benefit from jemalloc and tcmalloc with MyRocks. RSS was much larger with
glibc malloc because tcmalloc and jemalloc are better at avoiding
fragmentation when dealing with something like RocksDB that puts stress on
the allocator. This isn't an issue for InnoDB. I will repeat this test soon.

http://smalldatum.blogspot.com/2015/10/myrocks-versus-allocators-glibc.html

--
Mark Callaghan
mdcallag@xxxxxxxxx