Replication Upgrade Strategy MySQL 5.6 to MariaDB 10.2

Hello,

Am hoping to get some feedback on an upgrade strategy to go from MySQL 5.6 (two separate servers, one replication slave) to MariaDB 10.2 (installed on new servers).

I'm looking at an rsync process to seed the two new instances on MariaDB, and am unsure if this is sound (https://www.stephenrlang.com/2016/08/setting-up-mysql-master-slave-replication-with-rsync/). Roughly, the process would look like this:

- rsync data from MySQL 5.6 Master to MariaDB 10.2 Slave
- Lock master
- Get master status
- Refresh rsync
- Remove lock
- Run upgrade process on MariaDB 10.2 Slave.
- Change MASTER.... on MariaDB 10.2 Slave
- Create second MariaDB 10.2 Slave from first MariaDB 10.2 Slave
- Promote MariaDB 10.2 Slave to Master (redirect all DB traffic at this point)
- Redirect other MariaDB 10.2 Slave to new Master
- Shutdown MySQL 5.6 servers.

What I'm most concerned about is the viability of rsync as a method to seed the new MariaDB server from MySQL 5.6.  I've come across some chatter that there are risks using rsync instead of a proper dump and restore.  Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks,

Mike

Follow ups