Re: mariadb-backup meta deb package

Hi, Florent!

On Feb 14, Florent B wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Wouldn't be nice to have a metapackage mariadb-backup in Debian
> repository, that depends on the current best version
> (mariadb-backup-10.2, etc..) ?
>
> Like "mariadb-server" package in fact.

Yes, I guess.
It'll be consistent with what we do with the server.

Of course, if you also have a solution how to reduce the number of
packages, that'd be perfect :)

Hmm, how about that?
We rename the following packages to remove "-10.1" at the end.

  mariadb-connect-engine-10.1
  mariadb-oqgraph-engine-10.1
  mariadb-cracklib-password-check-10.1
  mariadb-gssapi-server-10.1
  mariadb-gssapi-client-10.1
  mariadb-backup-10.1

This way the server package will specify the version (either
"mariadb-server-10.1" for 10.1 or "mariadb-server" for the latest)
and everything else will follow.

Looks logical and doesn't increase the number of packages (!!!).
But I need to try whether it'll actually work in Debian :)

Regards,
Sergei
Chief Architect MariaDB
and security@xxxxxxxxxxx