Re: JSON column type

Hi, Brent!

On Feb 21, Brent Clark wrote:
> Good day Guys
>
> I have a client that is looking for JSON support, or better 'JSON column
> type'.
>
> He is asking for MySQL/5.7.8 (Currently on MySQL 5.6).
>
> And his comment is : "/This is so that we can use the JSON column type
> introduced in this version."
>
> We don't use MySQL, well we shipping away to MariaDB.
> The question I would like to ask is.
> Based on reading :
> https://mariadb.com/resources/blog/best-both-worlds-relational-json
> Is it fair to say, the clients needs are met?

Depends on what his needs are. If he needs "JSON column type", then his
needs are not met, MariaDB doesn't have it.

Practically, people rarely need a JSON type as such, they need to store
JSON and do something with it (search, modify, index by JSON field, etc).

If this is the case, your client needs are most probably met.

Regards,
Sergei
Chief Architect MariaDB
and security@xxxxxxxxxxx