Re: Why MyISAM as default engine for system tables ?

> 2018-06-06 17:45:27 140034181385856 [ERROR] InnoDB: Could not find a
> valid tablespace file for `dbmail/#sql2-704-271`. Please refer to
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/innodb-troubleshooting-datadict.html
> for how to resolve the issue.

MariaDB 10.3 would drop #sql tables inside InnoDB at startup, so you
should not need to do that manually.
That was fixed in MDEV-14585. I felt that to do this safely, we also
need MDEV-14717 (making RENAME TABLE crash-safe inside InnoDB), which
required an undo log format change. That one was not possible in a GA
version, so I did both in 10.3.

I don't think that having system tablespaces in InnoDB would be a good
option. Some users might run with MyRocks instead of InnoDB, for
example.
The Aria engine should always be there, because it can be used for
temporary storage during query execution.
--
Marko Mäkelä, Lead Developer InnoDB
MariaDB Corporation