Re: required mysql_upgrade; MDEV-14637

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 11:16 AM Michal Schorm <mschorm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a questions regarding the warnings showing up at 10.2 and 10.3 releases:
>
> When upgrading from MariaDB 10.2.16 or earlier to MariaDB 10.2.17 or higher,
> running mysql_upgrade is required due to changes introduced in MDEV-14637.
>
> When upgrading from MariaDB 10.3.8 or earlier to MariaDB 10.3.9 or higher,
> running mysql_upgrade is required due to changes introduced in MDEV-14637.
>
> --
>
> 1) The same applies for upgrading <=10.2.16 to >= 10.3.9, right?
>
> 2) Does it mean, it is impossible to use "dump and restore" technique,
> or it only means I need to run the mysql_upgrade afterwards?
>
> 3) The problem is not triggered when upgrading from 5.5, 10.0 and 10.1?
> 4) The problem is not triggered when upgrading to 10.4 ?

I found a reply in the mailing list archive which haven't reached my inbox:

From: Reindl Harald
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 11:59:50 +0100
> just run "mysql_upgrade" after each update and you are done
> our production datadirs date back to 2002, originally on windows then
> moved to MacOS and in 2008 to Fedora and i did not dump/restore a single
> time in my whole life, this is not postgresql

My question is focused on the clarification in our downstream documentation.
So while usually I'd be fine with personal experience, in this case,
I'd prefer more in-depth answer covering.

I'm forwarding this mail to devel mailing list.

--

Michal Schorm
Software Engineer