Re: clean MDB 10.4.7 install fails `mysql_upgrade` with FATAL ERROR: "Illegal mix of collations (utf8mb4_unicode_ci, COERCIBLE) and (utf8mb4_general_ci, COERCIBLE) for operation 'like'"

I'm not clear on why root/superuser would NOT be functional here; that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  I need to read up further about that.

And I note the proposed 'skip' workaround ... but isn't it just that -- a workaround, around an existing 'problem'?

Do note from my OP, the existing/installed charset/collation for the 4 initialized DBs

| information_schema | CREATE DATABASE `information_schema` /*!40100 DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8                               */ |
| mysql              | CREATE DATABASE `mysql`              /*!40100 DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_unicode_ci */ |
| performance_schema | CREATE DATABASE `performance_schema` /*!40100 DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8                               */ |
| test               | CREATE DATABASE `test`               /*!40100 DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1                             */ |

Given the config in my.cnf already defined at time of 1st data initialization, it seems that that's an initial problem, no?

Shouldn't the initialization result be all charset/collation 'correctly' set, as specified?

Also,  noting in the errant script

	mariadb_10_4/build/scripts/mysql_fix_privilege_tables.sql

posted fyi here,

	https://paste.fedoraproject.org/paste/DQXBxBbyBMQS7eCZRgEwbA

you can see the numerous

	... COLLATE utf8_general_ci ...

(as well as a couple of ... COLLATE utf8_bin ...)

which I'd guess are causing those ERRORs I see.