Re: Rocks, toku and some performance considerations.

Hi, Reinis!

On Sep 12, Reinis Rozitis wrote:
> > It seems MariaDB is dropping TokuDB in 10.5.
> > See https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-19780
> >
> > BR,
> >   Jocelyn Fournier
>
> Why oh why ... it's such a good engine for large / arhive type data
> tables (great compression / no fragmentation).

The MDEV-19780 has the reason. Quoting:

  https://www.percona.com/doc/percona-server/8.0/tokudb/tokudb_intro.html

  TokuDB is deprecated in the 8.0 series and will be supported through
  the 8.0 series until further notice. This storage engine will not be
  included in the next major release of Percona Server for MySQL. We
  recommend MyRocks as a long-term migration path.

Percona is the owner and the maintainer of TokuDB. We package it, we fix
MariaDB-specific bugs, but most TokuDB bugs are reported to and fixed by
upstream. When Percona deprecates TokuDB, we don't have much of a
choice, but to do the same.

> All our attempts to use rocksdb have failed so far with random issues
> :(

Regards,
Sergei
VP of MariaDB Server Engineering