Limited Unicode Support?

Hello,

I hope this is the proper mailing list to ask such questions, I apologise
if it isn't.

I am having some problems with unusual Unicode characters in my MariaDB
database.

$ mariadb --version
mariadb  Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.3.17-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64)
using readline 5.2
$ sudo ./mariadb.php
[sudo] Passwort für bjoern:
Query: INSERT INTO `test` SET `string` = '🙋 Huhu. wie geht es dir?'
Inserted: '🙋 Huhu. wie geht es dir?'
Returned: '???? Huhu. wie geht es dir?'

SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'character%':
character_set_client utf8
character_set_connection utf8
character_set_database utf8
character_set_filesystem binary
character_set_results utf8
character_set_server latin1
character_set_system utf8
character_sets_dir /usr/share/mysql/charsets/

As you can see here, MariaDB does not take the character '🙋' (
https://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/1f64b/index.htm ) and instead
replaces it with four question marks and I have no idea why.

I've attached the PHP code for the example.

I would be most grateful for any suggestion.

Regards,
Björn Keil