Re: database corrupted when switching from MySQL to MariaDB on Ubuntu 19.04

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 10:17 AM Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Am 16.10.19 um 10:23 schrieb Gordan Bobic:
> > I don't know if it is recoverable but it sounds like you missed the step
> > of always needing a full, clean shutdown between upgrades with
> > innodb_fast_shutdown=0. Then you can delete ib_logfile*, and upgrade.
>
> always?

Yes.

> how comes that i didn't need that for the whole past decade which means
> MySQl 5.0 to MariaDB 10.3 and frankly i wouldn't expect it at all, this
> is not PostgreSQL

Short of an incredible amount of luck, resulting in the ib_logfiles being
completely flushed at the point of shutdown (or you having
innodb_fast_shutdown=0 set in your configs), I don't have an explanation
for why for you. I have never seen an upgrade from MariaDB 10.1 and earlier
to MariaDB 10.2 and later work without following the described process, and
I have carried out dozens of such upgrades over the last few years.

It is documented, and a simple yum update specifically refuses to upgrade
the MariaDB-server package for this exact reason. You have to do a clean
shutdown, manually remove the old MariaDB-server package and then install
the new MariaDB-server package.