lock_wait_timeout default and best practice values

Hi,

When migrating from mariadb 10.1 to 10.3 we noticed that
the default value for lock_wait_timeout went from 1 year
to 1 day.

Although 1 day seems more reasonable than 1 year, it seems
pretty high for a lock_wait.

Does anyone know why this value is so high? Are there any
rule of thumbs for a good timeout value that won't degrade
the system and yet allow it to operate as intended?

I know that part of the answer is "it depends on which
operations your applications are doing". What I don't know
is if beyond those applications, mariadb needs a specific
timeout to function properly, for example, when doing a
mariabackup or flushing tables.

Is anyone else using a timeout value other than the default ones?

My apologies for the naivete of this question.

Thanks!

--josé

Follow ups