Re: Migrating a Galera cluster to new hardware and major Maria version

Hi Tom,
For minimal downtime, you could build your new cluster and then add a node
as a slave to your existing host, sounds like that's your plan. This will
then allow data to flow over to the cluster. Once your happy it's
replicating ok then do an orderly switchover and forget the original
master. Downtime is maybe 10 minutes on a slow day depending on what effort
to repoint your application layer. Also, you can probably bring up a single
app node initially much quicker and add your remaining nodes more
leisurely. Allows you to check for errors on your app layer through a
single node and control things

I would use Percona Xtrabackup to make our backup. It's much quicker and I
found much better to MySQLDump unless it's presently only a small database.
Will also carry over your GTID etc for sync. I have some notes on my blog
on my switchovers

Cheers
Peter